Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 Singelplayer maps for DK2

Default Re: 88 Singelplayer maps for DK2

Whynots Rout 666 - I didn't realise that I was allied with Blue. I'd assumed the map was about crossing the Lava river and assaulting the other Dungeon, so I crept across with Imps and assaulted through the Combat Pit in the North-West. Haveing the LOTL permenantly stationed on tiles that I can cast Spells on was unfortunate for him. He lasted for less time then those initial Elven Archers that could hit my Dungeon Heart before I had a chance to even dig a tile.

Nice quick map that one.

60/88

You are fast and furious..

Whynots ShapeOfCards - Yay, difficulty settings! I appreciate the Doom reference in the difficulty settings, naturally I have to pick Nightmare.

I opted for a slow build, 2 portals means plenty of Vampire candidates so after getting the Library and researching create gold I had enough time to recruit a decent army of Vampires and Black Knights.

I started in the North-West and went clockwise. Both the northern fortresses fell without too many problems and gave some decent conversions. When I got to the south though things took a turn for the worse. No longer being on the winning end of North/South feature meant I took a lot of losses but in each corner it seemed only the initial parties were a concern. I don't think I ever saw reinforcements come in from the Hero Gates.

It took a bit of time, but victory was mine.

61/88

Whynots Spooky - I think we know by know how much I hate timers. So my first play through was a dud, I was just scouting out everything the level seemed to have to offer, and I'm glad I did. There is an unlock requirement for a room type that you desperately need in order to win the level and there is also some inherent difficulty in a frontal assault.

With that room however, on my second playthrough, I was able to eliminate the reinforcement threat nice and early (as in <15 minutes). I then noticed that I could breach the room behind the dungeon heart with tremor and imps. A keen eye will then note that the KoTL does not wander with an entourage, they patrol separately and so it's possible to lure him away by himself. Since he's not immune to Lightning stun a small group of mid level Black Knights finished him off rather quickly.

I was able to finish with 30 minutes left on the timer.

62/88
    Last edited by Bodsda; November 4th, 2022 at 14:33.

Whynots Stargate - This was an interesting level, it pretends that you are allied but the win condition suggests otherwise.

The necessary path to get to the other portals forced you into a slower game play style which was nice, and somehow the Call To Arms spell was unusable despite being visible in the spell list. I wonder though, did I need to wait until I got the extra portals before I went for the win condition, or could I have gone for it straight away?

Nice map

63/88

Whynots Styx - These find the spells type levels are some of my favourites, not because of difficulty but because of the different playstyles they require.

Starting off, 1 creature, no portal, invasions and Lvl10 guardians of the gates. Just getting your Dungeon Heart safe is going to take a bit of time and careful management of your creatures health flower. No possession, no heal and no Call To Arms so your only tool for the first part of this level is the hand of evil.

Once I started making some headway into each of the progressively more difficult prison outposts we started gaining some momentum. The trick seems to be to deal with the enemies at the door, try not to rush in because as soon as you find the prisons and those Neutral creatures become yours, they become targets. Once you have Possession this tactic changes to run in passed the enemies, touch the prisons, drop out of possession and pick everyone up. Then you can mop up the outpost with everyone safe.

The ending caught me off Guard, royally. The first RGoTL ended up in my torture chamber. I had planned to do the same to the second but just as my imps started dragging him back Horny came out. Not sure if the win con was conversion of 1 of them or having both off them down.

64/88

”Stargate” Win condition kill the blue, if you kill the two Lotl the alliance between
    red and blue will be breaked, it’s then easier to kill blue, but you can kill blue earlier
    but don’t tell because the race must go on..

“Styx” Win con. claim the elite Rouge, a couple seconds later you will win.
    Must change win con. now and then as a mapmaker must have some fun
    making the players confused. Which level did Zachariah reach.

Now when you have reached the temple maps, I suggest start with Moon then Venus, Mars
    Saturn, Jupiter and last the Sun, I guess that you’ve figured that already

Quote Originally Posted by Whynotsian View Post
    ”Stargate” Win condition kill the blue, if you kill the two Lotl the alliance between
    red and blue will be breaked, it’s then easier to kill blue, but you can kill blue earlier
    but don’t tell because the race must go on..
    I don't remember seeing any LOTLs. And when I'd cleared the map I could drop a creature right on Blue's Dungeon Heart which suggests we were still allied. He wouldn't attack me either.

“Styx” Win con. claim the elite Rouge, a couple seconds later you will win.
    Must change win con. now and then as a mapmaker must have some fun
    making the players confused. Which level did Zachariah reach.
    Hmm, I didn't ever purposefully go to get the Rogue but I had put a stone bridge over all the lava so if the wall was altered then I guess my imps could have run in there whilst I wasn't looking.

Zacariah got to Level 7.

Now when you have reached the temple maps, I suggest start with Moon then Venus, Mars
    Saturn, Jupiter and last the Sun, I guess that you’ve figured that already
    Oops, I didn't notice that, just played Jupiter and that was quite the challenege.

Whynots Temple Of Jupiter - This map was a little harder than most. You get given ample time to get a force together before the first invasion, but it's a North/South map so you will find yourself at a constant disadvantage.

Once the invasion path was trapped I was able to forget about it. I think perhaps there was some creature recruitment modifications on this level because my Combat Pit attracted no Black Knights, my Library attracted no Warlocks and my Workshop attracted no Bile Demons. For a while I was a Goblin army plus the two Elites.

Eventually, and I do mean eventually, I cleared the rivers of lava and began assaulting the fortress. But things only got worse. Lvl9/10 Guards and Royal guards, with Fairies are a force to be reckoned with. I lost everything pretty much, including everything I had freed on my way there. By the time I got Zacariah he was my only high level creature.

Then comes the twist. You can't defend from this assault without first assaulting and killing those that dwell in the temple. Luckily I was able to capture the room, sell it and then get to work on it with spells and Zacariah just as the invasion was smashing through my early game trap defense. Once I had achieved victory in the temple, it was only a matter of time and mana before the King fell.

65/88

I guess I'll go do Moon now

”Stargate” When one of your creatures congregate into the portal
    far up to the right the Lotl and his hero party will spawn and
    for the left portal there must be a blue creature congregating
    for that Lotls party to be spawning. If you then kill these Lotl’s
    and only then the Break of the alliance will happen.

“Styx” You are faster than your own eyes

“Jupiter” That’s ok. You have to go out there and find them, Goblins is good.
    I see, for once I nearly manage to kill you, oh it feels Good to be Mad (Halloween)
    Ah you figured out The Jupiter Temple quest, I hope that you didn’t panicked when the
    two Stone knights started to slooowly move towards your heart.

Good speed

”Stargate” When one of your creatures congregate into the portal
    far up to the right the Lotl and his hero party will spawn and
    for the left portal there must be a blue creature congregating
    for that Lotls party to be spawning. If you then kill these Lotl’s
    and only then the Break of the alliance will happen.
    Ah, so I probably found my LOTL but not Blue's because he never claimed his other portal, I did.

I see, for once I nearly manage to kill you, oh it feels Good to be Mad (Halloween)
    Ah you figured out The Jupiter Temple quest, I hope that you didn’t panicked when the
    two Stone knights started to slooowly move towards your heart.
    This was certainly one of the closest calls I've had so far, yeah.

Whynots Temple Of The Moon - The trick to these levels seems to be defense and good micro of Imps. With the trap layout though it is necessary to either assault with creatures or use posession to do a couple of run rounds destroying traps, especially freeze, spike and lightning traps. Imps hate them, sentry's aren't as big of a problem - high level imps mainly ignore them.

Once I had breached and claimed the outer layer things became a bit easier. Incursions less frequent and more likely to happen because my imps invited a follower back to my dungeon. Methodically working my way around we eventually claimed everything and then stormed the keep. No troubles.

66/88
    Last edited by Bodsda; November 7th, 2022 at 09:33.