Thread: Trying to understand how to install custom map packs

Default Trying to understand how to install custom map packs

Hello everyone.

I will just get straight to the point.
    I understand how to install custom campaigns that have a cfg file
    I also understand how to install standalone maps.

I cant understand how to install entire map packs.
    In this instance I want to play the map pack called "Die hard dungeons"
    I vaguely gathered from videos, that you need to replace the original campaign files with the maps from the custom pack but im very confused on how to do that / where to find them and what all i need to keep in mind.
    I saw someone play the die hard dungeons pack on youtube by selecting the original campaign in the menu but there were no installation instructions, and i cant seem to find anything online either just in regards to entire map packs that dont come with a campaign cfg file.
    Please help me, thank you.

Default Re: Trying to understand how to install custom map packs

The map pack for download has really not been prepared for KeeperFX. This means you either have to make a pack from the levels yourself, or by putting the levels into an existing pack.

Download the 'deeper dungeons' pack of "Die hard dungeons", and if you extract all these files into '/levels/classic/', the levels will show up for you to play in the classic folder. You can also simply make a new folder inside the '/levels/' folder to put the level files into, then copy say levels/classic.cfg, and edit it with a text editor to point it to the new folder. Then you have a new map pack inside your keeperfx, specifically with the die hard dungeon levels.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    The map pack for download has really not been prepared for KeeperFX. This means you either have to make a pack from the levels yourself, or by putting the levels into an existing pack.

Download the 'deeper dungeons' pack of "Die hard dungeons", and if you extract all these files into '/levels/classic/', the levels will show up for you to play in the classic folder. You can also simply make a new folder inside the '/levels/' folder to put the level files into, then copy say levels/classic.cfg, and edit it with a text editor to point it to the new folder. Then you have a new map pack inside your keeperfx, specifically with the die hard dungeon levels.
    That is exactly how i have it set up currently. but it doesnt play out as a cohesive campaign like it is intended to.

Like i said someone on youtube just clicked on original campaign in the main menu under New game, in order to play this as intended. This map pack comes with secret levels and creature transfers and not setting it up as a cohesive campaign means i cant make use of those things because if i want to go to the next map, i always have to go back into the menu after every level and manually select the next level, and doing so results in me not having transferred creatures available.

I realize i need to overwrite the original maps with the custom maps, because i guess that is how they were set up originally before we were able to actually make proper campaigns ourselves. But im not really sure what exactly im doing, or if there is anything i need to keep in mind. i.e. this pack has a readme file that tells me i need to overwrite my text.dat file so i get proper text with the maps as written by the maker of the map, but i cant even find that text.dat to begin with so i just thought maybe someone more experienced could guide me in the right direction.

If you want to make a campaign out of it, that's possible too. Then Make a subfolder in the /campgns/ and copy and edit campgns/keeporig.cfg
    That file has information on what everything does. If it's not fully clear, feel free to say where you need more help.

If you want to make a campaign out of it, that's possible too. Then Make a subfolder in the /campgns/ and copy and edit campgns/keeporig.cfg
    That file has information on what everything does. If it's not fully clear, feel free to say where you need more help.
    Thanks i looked at that and found it a bit overwhelming. Im sure its just something i need to dedicate some time to, to properly understand how it all works.
    For now i found that just making a fresh copy of DKFX and overwriting the original maps works just fine for those map packs, at least i was able to get it to work, since i had some time to tinker while waiting for responses. Ill check back if i do decide to make a proper campaign out of the pack with a cfg file and all.

I do have a question though. is it necessary that i create my own world map file or could i just let it default to the original campaign mapselect background?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyntastic View Post
    Thanks i looked at that and found it a bit overwhelming. Im sure its just something i need to dedicate some time to, to properly understand how it all works.
    For now i found that just making a fresh copy of DKFX and overwriting the original maps works just fine for those map packs, at least i was able to get it to work, since i had some time to tinker while waiting for responses. Ill check back if i do decide to make a proper campaign out of the pack with a cfg file and all.

I do have a question though. is it necessary that i create my own world map file or could i just let it default to the original campaign mapselect background?
    You can keep everything you want from the original campaign. It's not as hard as you seem to think it is.

Say:
    1) Make a folder called \campgns\diehard\
    2) Copy \campgns\keeporig.cfg and name it diehard.cfg
    3) Edit diehard.cfg and where it says 'NAME', call it 'Die Hard Dungeons'
    4) Remove or comment out the line with NAME_TEXT_ID
    5) Where it says LEVELS_LOCATION, change it to 'campgns/diehard'

Save, exit, play the game. This is already enough. Bonus:
    a) Go to where it says [strings], and make sure that points to the text files that came with game.
    b) Go to where it says 'Details about single player levels' and for every level, give it the name of the die hard dungeon by changing NAME_TEXT and removing NAME_ID

You can keep everything you want from the original campaign. It's not as hard as you seem to think it is.

Say:
    1) Make a folder called \campgns\diehard\
    2) Copy \campgns\keeporig.cfg and name it diehard.cfg
    3) Edit diehard.cfg and where it says 'NAME', call it 'Die Hard Dungeons'
    4) Remove or comment out the line with NAME_TEXT_ID
    5) Where it says LEVELS_LOCATION, change it to 'campgns/diehard'

Save, exit, play the game. This is already enough. Bonus:
    a) Go to where it says [strings], and make sure that points to the text files that came with game.
    b) Go to where it says 'Details about single player levels' and for every level, give it the name of the die hard dungeon by changing NAME_TEXT and removing NAME_ID
    Thank you very much ill try it tomorrow!