Thread: GPL

Troll

Default GPL

Does the GPL apply to the logo, or only the code? The OpenKeeper article on the Dungeon Keeper Wiki on Fandom (https://dungeonkeeper.fandom.com/wiki/OpenKeeper) is woefully incomplete (it doesn't even have the logo!), and I'd like to know whether the logo can be used there under the GPL, or only under fair dealing.

OpenKeeper developer

Default Re: GPL

That is a really good question. And I don't even know how to address this....

But I'd say it can be used in promotional purposes, like in the wiki you linked (https://dungeonkeeper.fandom.com/wiki/OpenKeeper). This is not a release of any license but I mean, it is ok.

Troll

I'm no legal expert, but section 5 of the GPL states:

You must license the entire work, as a whole, under this
    License to anyone who comes into possession of a copy. This
    License will therefore apply, along with any applicable section 7
    additional terms, to the whole of the work, and all its parts,
    regardless of how they are packaged. This License gives no
    permission to license the work in any other way, but it does not
    invalidate such permission if you have separately received it.
    (my bolding)

As the logo is an asset (https://github.com/tonihele/OpenKeep...openkeeper.svg), it looks to me like it's licensed under the GPL.

Also, wouldn't its use on the wiki would be educational, rather than promotional? Educational use is fair in the UK.

OpenKeeper developer

At least I wont be suing I think it is ok to use there. I appreciate your attitude towards these licensing stuff.

Troll

Well, despite what some seem to think, copyright is not something that should be taken lightly.

But, further to my post above, maybe it actually boils down to whether the asset is actually part of the program, or simply loaded or accessed by it? If the former, then the asset would be GPL-licensed. If the latter, perhaps not .

The GPL (GNU General Public License) only applies to code that is used in software circulation, not to logos, images or other design elements. This means that if the OpenKeeper logo does not contain its code, distribution is not covered by the GPL. However, if the logo is used in conjunction with GPL-licensed software, it must comply with the GPL's requirements regarding the use of trademarks and logos.

Troll

It looks like the logo is used in conjunction with the program itself. What does that mean in terms of licensing?