Thread: KeeperFX is too easy - is there a difficulty setting?

Default KeeperFX is too easy - is there a difficulty setting?

Hi I've only just started using KeeperFX and it is ridiculously easy. All the enemies are level 1 and there's only a tiny number of them. Meanwhile I've got level 10 monsters so winning is easy. I've played the original many times so I know it's not supposed to be this easy. I assume there is some sort of difficulty setting somewhere but I can't find it. Help please.

Default Re: KeeperFX is too easy - is there a difficulty setting?

There's really no change that makes KeeperFX any easier compared to the original game. What are you playing, the original campaign? If you train up all the way to lvl10, you could look into not training so very long and win sooner.

But, the other campaigns and levels that are included are a lot less easy then the original campaign maps.

Thanks for the reply. I'm playing what look like the original levels from Dungeon Keeper as I recognise them. I'm using Dungeon Keeper Gold from GOG. There's definitely something not right. In the original game, even with level 10 monsters, it would still be challenging because the opponents monsters would also be somewhere near that level. And, for example, in the first level where three of those infinite gold supply rocks occurs, i think the fourth or fifth level, i literally ran out of room for a gold store because I could mine so much. And that was before I ever engaged the enemy.
    This didn't happen in the original game, there would be many, many more opponents and they would be better trained. Seriously it's like I'm on a permanent training level where the opponent AI is permanently set to "easy to beat" or something. I'm going to have to revert to the original if there's no fix because there's just no challenge as it is.

This level you mean? https://dungeonkeeper.fandom.com/wiki/Flowerhat
    That level is indeed a tutorial level, in the original game as well. You get gems and are never attacked and there is 0 challenge to this level. You could play GOG, but for sure it would not be any harder.

You could play 'New Game+' if you like, that is basically the same campaign but with a bit more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    This level you mean? https://dungeonkeeper.fandom.com/wiki/Flowerhat
    That level is indeed a tutorial level, in the original game as well. You get gems and are never attacked and there is 0 challenge to this level. You could play GOG, but for sure it would not be any harder.

You could play 'New Game+' if you like, that is basically the same campaign but with a bit more of a challenge.
    I must admit I'm confused now. Yes that is the level I was talking about but when I played the original there was definitely more of a challenge to it. I definitely don't remember it being a tutorial level. There were more and higher level opponent monsters. So which campaign should I be playing to get a challenging opponent then?

Sorry, but you remember wrong. The flag even has the T for Tutorial on it. I know the games pretty well, but you are free to try.

The original game gets harder after the first 6 levels, but if you feel like you are an experienced player and want the original feeling you can go for 'New Game+'.
    If you want a true challenge, you can go for Assmist Isle or Revenge of the Lord, both of them are both very good and quite hard.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Sorry, but you remember wrong. The flag even has the T for Tutorial on it. I know the games pretty well, but you are free to try..
    Right, so I've only run KeeperFX once and on this second go at opening it (I wanted to try New Game+) I just get a black screen and it then crashes out. I changed to windows mode and that works but the window is tiny on my 4k screen. Can you help with this please?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoooom! View Post
    Right, so I've only run KeeperFX once and on this second go at opening it (I wanted to try New Game+) I just get a black screen and it then crashes out. I changed to windows mode and that works but the window is tiny on my 4k screen. Can you help with this please?
    Sure. Some people unfortunately experience crashes on 4k resolution. Best thing for you to try is play in 2560x1440x32 (or whatever your aspect ration is). Be sure to set ingame, menu and movies all to the same resolution.