Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knightly Lands

Default Knightly Lands

Knightly Lands

This map has only knights, with the exception of princes, a lord, and a few wizards.
    There is only one way to recruit creatures, which is the torture chamber.
    Main task: Kill the stone knights.
    You can solve a small riddle in the northeast of the map and get a bonus.
    If you lose the magicians you can get you won't be able to research any more spells.
    The map is fairly easy, without too strong heroes.

1.1 The map has become more complex
    New issues of heroes from the gate have been added
    Level of heroes is now higher
    Other heroes have been added (They will die instantly if they get into the torture chamber)
    Only healing spell originally available
    Lair can not be built and sold, you can now get a maximum of 9 knights.
    Try not to let enemies attack your lair since you can't build it.
    Those traps and doors you can find can now be built
    Reduced amount of gold
    New mana reserves added.
    One of the stone knights was given a portal gem

Good Luck Keeper!

You can download the map here: Knightly Lands.zip
    You can download updated map here: Knightly Lands 1.1.zip
    Last edited by ki307856; May 30th, 2023 at 07:57.

Default Re: Knightly Lands

You have no idea how glad I am that you started to actively post your maps. It's like a fresh breath, and an opportunity to play my favorite game. I haven't seen new content in a very long time. Thank you.

Glad I can make you happy
    By the way, if you have ideas for maps can write, because I'm long enough to think about ideas for maps.

Okay. I have a lot to say about this map ) The idea is good, I still like the design and detailing of your maps. They look quite realistic. The only thing is that the bases with the princes are repetitive and copy themselves from Lava Apocalypse.
    However, there are a few things that can be tweaked to make a good map into a great map.
    I'll give you a few tips.
    First, a few portals don't get destroyed after capturing the tiles around them. A good rule of thumb is to destroy them so that the player knows the area is safe. Also, it's nice to seed the destruction to the heroes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dk2 knights.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	2408

Second, the level does not end correctly after the death of the stone knights. Always create a gem so that the player can press ESC and continue the game. After all, the player still wants to explore the remaining areas, or just admire the dungeon while savoring his victory. Gem can be given to one of the knights, or there is a lifehack. You can create by trigger an imp who carry gem with 0 hp. The imp will instantly die and summon Horny.

Third, you have placed workshops, but they are not used in any way. In order for the player to use the traps, he needs to have them researched from the start of the game.

Fourth, the balance of gold here is bad. There is too much gold on the map. This is one of the things that can create tension for the player, the lack of money motivates him to move forward. You devalue it and don't use it well. You can safely reduce the amount of gold on the map by a factor of three. Plus, there are gems on the map. In addition, you have placed many piles of gold in secret places and corridors, but finding them does not bring joy, because money is always in excess.

Fifth, spells. You at the very start give the most needed spells lightning and healing. With this combination, a level 3 knight will easily kill everyone in the fortress where the knights are level 8. There is no point in looking for mages at all. And it greatly simplifies the game.
    You can place books of these spells in the secrets, or in the fortress of one of the light princes.
    I would also add 1 neutral mage, somewhere in another secret location, in another direction, so that there is variability. For example, I got to the bottom corner with the mages when 80% of the map was already passed.

You can improve your logic. Heroes' fortresses can consist of more than just guard posts. When you design hero fortresses, think about where heroes sleep or what they eat. Maybe a little chicken coop or lair would be a good idea. Also objects like hero armoury trestle. Use DK2 Editor rc3 rather than DK2 Editor pro to place a lair or chicken coop on the map. If you place a hero with the "Act as dropped" flag on the lair, it will create a bed on it.

Difficulty. Right now the map is too easy. Low difficulty equals boring, because it is not interesting when there is no resistance. The player gets a limitless stream of knights at the beginning from the portals around the heart, along with an incredible supply of gold around, which allows you to create a huge army without difficulty.
    There are several solutions here.
    - You can remove the player's ability to build a lair. Which would limit him to 7-8 knights, for example, without whining.
    - You can make in the variables that the transition to the Keeper's side is not 100% chance, but for example 30%.
    - You can increase the knights salary by a factor of 10 so that it is not profitable for the player to keep a large army.

There is no point in releasing many level 3 armies on a player. Only the first 2-3 times may present a difficulty, then it's just boys for beating and leveling creatures. Limit the realising of groups of heroes from portals X number of times.

Can the assassination of a Prince or other particularly important hero be unpunished? Release large punishing armies once in a while.

- Has a player captured a bridge? Increase the flag by 1, and unleash a punishing army.
    - Has the player captured 5 of 8 cells around the heroes' portal? Release the punishing army from the same portal.
    - Player sits at his base for 60 minutes and does nothing? release punishing army.
    - Has the player captured a large treasury? release the punishing army.
    - The player collected 15 knights or more? ... I think you get the idea. )

Add other types of creatures to the heroes. It would be more fun if the enemy had royal guards, assassins and wizards. Make them non-transferable. Go to "Creature Types" and change the "Torture Health Change" parameter to 32000 and the creature will instantly die in the torture chamber.
    Last edited by Quuz; May 22nd, 2023 at 00:40.

By the way, thank you for your hard work!

I don't think I can do much with action points since there are already 80 of them, I'll try to use the old ones.
    By the way do you know how to create another creature release work with a spell "create imp"?
    After I changed the parameter Shot Data 2 to 0 so that the gnomes do not constantly appear spell stopped working.
    And is it possible to create a new spell in the editor?
    I would be glad if you can help)
    Last edited by ki307856; May 22nd, 2023 at 08:25.

You can save some areas on patrols by throwing heroes with the "Act as dropped" flag into the guard room and setting patrol paths through the guard post trap. This works slightly worse than patrolling through areas, since the heroes perform the task once. If they see an enemy, they will not return to patrol, they will just stand still. Such heroes are better to create a trigger when attacked to get an objective kill player.

The spell to create an imp is special. Shot data 1 contains the id of the desired creature, Shot data 2 contains the level of the summoned creature. To make the spell work, replace Shot data 1 with 14 for a gnome for example. You can see the creature's Id in the creature types.However, you will lose the mana cost increase in this case. This point is hardcoded for the imp. You will need a trigger that takes the spell away from the player if he has more than 10 gnomes for example, and puts it back if he has less than 10.

It is possible to create completely new spells, but this is done through the hex editor. It's complicated.
    The easy way is to modify an existing spell. To do that you only need to deal with "Creature Spell Types" and "Shot types" editors.
    In fact, you'd probably be surprised what you can change in dk2 at all)

The number of imps generated by the Dungeon Heart is stored in "Edit Level Variables"

Name:	dk2 imps.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	2410

Thank you so much)
    I will probably start doing a campaign soon and this will help me a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ki307856 View Post
    1.1 The map has become more complex
    Lair, prison and torture chamber can not be built and sold, you can now get a maximum of 9 knights.
    Lair, prison and torture chamber can not be attacked by enemies since you can't build these rooms
    This would be a good idea, but it doesn't work. I've downloaded Knightly Lands 1.1, but an enemy (knight) just destroyed my prison.

Name:	shot0607u1in4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	2412

The second problem: I can't conquer the training room, the workshop and the guard room. Is that intentional?