Thread: Dungeon council

Default Dungeon council

A feature for the WFTO campaign to spice up optional quests and show the difference in personality between some of the creatures in a dungeon.
    Every creature in the council has a different personality, specialization and agenda (don't worry, they are all evil) and the optional quests they give reflects this.

The council:

Vlad the immortal: Vampire with speciality in ancient lore. He knows where items and places of great power are or at least where such information can be found.

Melkor Morgoth: Warlock with speciality in current magical lore and research. Rather than beginning a long and tedious treasure hunt for some
    powerful artefact in a long lost and forgotten underground city, Melkor's focus is on the more readily available power and knowledge.

Lady Rose: Mistress with speciality in converting (or is it corrupting?) prisoners. Her missions always requires the use of the torture chamber (always) and usually includes getting one or more people to join your cause. That is not to say that her plans are simple or not worth the effort (quite the opposite in fact, she is after all the lady of the dungeon and one does not just gain that title by being the most vicious vixen out there although, to be frank, she is). She is a firm believer (read; high priestess) of the motto 'no pain no gain' regardless of the pain being her own or somebody else's.

M: Rogue with speciality in gathering information. M (even he can't remember which alias is his real name any more so don't bother asking for his real name) is the go-to guy if you want to know about the who, where, when and why concerning practically anything. His missions usually includes money and/or stealth. He also supplies the other council members with whatever information they need for their own quests.

Forgemaster Krork: Troll with speciality in construction and engineering. He may not be the most brainy, vicious, well informed or beautiful (not by a long shot) member of the dungeon but no one can claim to have held as many (if any) advancing armies at bay than he. Krorks quests are about building special traps or gates in strategic positions in the dungeon and/or getting the blueprints for those same traps and gates.

Default Re: Dungeon council

What benefit would this give to the player?
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

And this is needed in WftO because...?

The idea of the council is a nice way to present the different types of side quests there might be in WFTO (and before you begin protesting, YES, I like the idea of side quests as they allow a more diverse gameplay than 'kill the lord of the land' and I know that you may not agree with me but that is okay because they are optional quests; you don't have to finish them if you don't want to).
    And while we're at it you might as well ask 'why a council. Why not anonymous lines of text telling us what to do like all the other games out there' (It's not an angry rant so don't feel insulted).
    Well...
    Because I liked the idea when I thought of it and wanted to share.

As for the rewards; I guess they differ from quest to quest (a big/line of quests could unlock a new spell, trap, gate, levels or perhaps even game modes (if such are included in the game and small quests can give an advantage of varying size in a single level (gold, creatures, pre made rooms, access to the enemy dungeon's secret entrance in the back, etc. etc. jadda, jadda and so on and so forth)). I don't want to be the one to limit the creativity of the people by telling them what rewards different quests should have. That is for them to decide if or when the time comes.
    Last edited by Edokage; February 12th, 2010 at 19:49.

basically these are other guys that work with you except Horny... they remind me my "spirits" idea in the dark god thread

Quote Originally Posted by natchoguy View Post
    basically these are other guys that work with you except Horny... they remind me my "spirits" idea in the dark god thread
    Except the Dark God idea is pure lore and this is actually trying to create an impact in gameplay.

I like this idea a little bit, but still i fail to see the need of a council for that purpose. Maybe after these quests you get access to elites (the game throws in the recipe to create an elite or something like that)

The council represents different creatures, their personalities and basically their 'brand' of evil (their 'ideologies' if you will) but they act only as advisers and are not seen in the dungeon as it is because of this (they are the best of the best and I personally don't think starting with a handful of llvl 10 creatures in every level is good for the overall gameplay).

Your 'spirit' idea was, as far as I can tell, an idea for an actual creature in the game that could be hired like a mercenary only with mana rather than gold.