Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Steam: Is this low fps normal?

  
  1. #1

    Default Steam: Is this low fps normal?

    ty for the help in advance, I do have an old computer but I have a gtx970 which feels like should be able to run this fine in 2k. I'm getting low fps other than when looking at empty land or very zoomed in. Would love some help, ty.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    EDIT:

    This seems to be a windows 11 and steam issue. Running KeeperFX without steam runs this with a normal framerate.
    When running it through steam, be sure to run KeeperFX as administrator. To do so: Right click your exe file > Properties > Compatibility > Tick the box "Run program as administator".



    Original post:

    The game unfortunately does not use any video card at all. And it also uses only 1 CPU core.
    Still, it's a very old game, I'd say most people would easily have it run over the 20 fps of the original game, even with an old PC.

    You can enable 'easter egg mode' (-alex) from the launcher, then press Enter from the numpad to get a console. Type !ft.max, and show us a screenshot of what the framerate numbers say.
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 10th, 2024 at 18:40.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    The game unfortunately does not use any video card at all. And it also uses only 1 CPU core.
    Still, it's a very old game, I'd say most people would easily have it run over the 20 fps of the original game, even with an old PC.

    You can enable 'easter egg mode' (-alex) from the launcher, then press Enter from the numpad to get a console. Type !ft.max, and show us a screenshot of what the framerate numbers say.
    Hey thanks for the response, fps seems to be hovering around 30, Though it did feel smoother on this map compared to before. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keeperfx_y5HovF2qdZ.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	2506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keeperfx_0XoQ9bhCRC.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	545.3 KB 
ID:	2507

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    What you can do is in the ingame options menu, reduce the draw distance and reduce the amount of shadows per sprite from 4 to 1 or 0.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    What you can do is in the ingame options menu, reduce the draw distance and reduce the amount of shadows per sprite from 4 to 1 or 0.
    thanks will give those a shot, I just logged back in now I'm at 8-9 frames at the start of the game, I guess I'll try to figure out what causes the flactuations, it was much better last time i played and sent the screenshots. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon_Keeper_GOSCcLtRCH.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	2508

    Edit: I believe it's launching the game through steam that causes this, Even if I launch the executable Steam uses but not through steam, I get 30 frames at lowest whereas through steam it's 7.
    Last edited by nihilreich; March 9th, 2024 at 15:14.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Interesting. If you figure out more let us know, this is uncharted territory.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by nihilreich View Post
    thanks will give those a shot, I just logged back in now I'm at 8-9 frames at the start of the game, I guess I'll try to figure out what causes the flactuations, it was much better last time i played and sent the screenshots. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon_Keeper_GOSCcLtRCH.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	2508

    Edit: I believe it's launching the game through steam that causes this, Even if I launch the executable Steam uses but not through steam, I get 30 frames at lowest whereas through steam it's 7.
    I had the same experience, launching the game with steam is causing a high reduction in the framerate, for me it's about a 80% loss.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Could you both try setting it to run as administrator? Word on the street says that fixes the low framerate issue.

  9. #9
    Imp Yani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Please try without the steam overlay:


  10. #10

    Default Re: Is this low fps normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Could you both try setting it to run as administrator? Word on the street says that fixes the low framerate issue.
    Didn't work for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yani View Post
    Please try without the steam overlay:

    https://i.imgur.com/uymmuKL.png
    Didn't work either, sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Steam community?
    By Duke Ragereaver in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2017, 12:50
  2. Mad Killing Psycho returning to normal
    By mefistotelis in forum KeeperFX
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 12th, 2013, 22:51
  3. Steam names
    By Necror in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 13th, 2010, 14:57

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •