Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buildable [Reinforced] Walls

Cool Buildable [Reinforced] Walls

Hello everyone, I'm what you would call a "new fan" to the Dungeon Keeper franchise and love the games. Since playing the 2 DK games nearly all the way through, its a shame to know that Dungeon Keeper 3 was never made. That's until I did a Google search and found out about this fan project

Anyways, one feature that I've really wanted since playing the Dungeon Keeper games is the ability to build walls. I know the concept of the game is to DESTROY the underground rock in order to make rooms, but there are times when I accidentally destroy a piece of rock that I really wish I didn't. That's where buildable walls come in.

They could essentially be Reinforced Walls that you pay gold to build (would only be allowed to be built on Claimed Path of course). They'll be awfully useful if you have an Imp destroy rock that you really wish you didn't or to wall off an incoming attack (although this strategy could be easily abused). In my opinion, such an option would also really help to change up the gameplay (we don't want War of the Overworld as just a remake of DK1 or DK2, right?).

Also the ability to build walls would be useful for the "Overworld" part of this game. Imps would be able to build Reinforced Walls and would need the ability to place Claimed Path in order to then build the Room types. Claimed Paths should then only be allowed to be placed INSIDE a Reinforced Wall "Box" and should probably require a door to close it off. Now it'll essentially look like a building as in this quick mock-up:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6...ldmechanic.png

So what do you all think? Hopefully this suggestion hasn't been made in the past (did a search and haven't seen the idea).

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Default Re: Buildable [Reinforced] Walls

I think this came up under "Overworld Gameplay," but I suppose it is nice to have an individual thread. As for underground game-play, I won't pretend there aren't times when I want to fill in a wall section or unwise piece of excavation, but this should perhaps be limited by a very high price in gold otherwise it lessens the need for foresight and planning.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    I think this came up under "Overworld Gameplay," but I suppose it is nice to have an individual thread.
    I skimmed very quickly through the thread (will read it more carefully later). From what I saw, the initial idea the whole time sounds to be that Overworld, Underound, and Deep are all supposed to be played at the same time, and not just as separate map types. I guess I've had the whole idea wrong. I really wish there was an FAQ in the General section.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    As for underground game-play, I won't pretend there aren't times when I want to fill in a wall section or unwise piece of excavation, but this should perhaps be limited by a very high price in gold otherwise it lessens the need for foresight and planning.
    Yeah it shouldn't be too cheap or else it encourages some cheap strategies as well (like you could dig out a HUGE amount of ground, and if you see an enemy force coming, just build reinforced walls throughout the corridor in mere seconds, requiring your enemy to SLUGGISHLY dig through all of it). However, if building walls did become an important part of Overworld play, then building Reinforced Walls at a high price will be a problem

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Overworld Reinforced Wall would probably be a different mechanic to any build-able underworld ones if you ask me.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

I dunno, dungeon wise I think that this seems quite a bit like the secret door. :/

Except that this could be a lot more problematic...
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

make it as a buildiable wall in the workshop, and this idea may actually work out. Take out the secret door and make buildable walls.

Fly

having buildable walls as a 'room' option would be bad in so many ways.

initially it a great concept, one that i too have longed for.
    but its too easily abused. all you would need to do is build a wall around an oncoming force when they aproach some traps and they are stuck with no where to hide.

As a workshop entity however it does sound very feasilble, with a much smaller scope for abuse

perhaps it could function like a door as dk2 suggestd, but instead of requiring two solid walls on oposing sides, it just needs any 2 adjacent walls for it to be placed? allowing it to create corner pieces etc or block of a narrow corridor

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

I don't think Making buildable walls is a good idea. It seems more right to have to live with the outcome of your lack of planning.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    I don't think Making buildable walls is a good idea. It seems more right to have to live with the outcome of your lack of planning.
    I agree this.

Consider also that this makes walling yourself in with gems possible in almost any map that has them.

The Awakening

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agzarah View Post
    As a workshop entity however it does sound very feasilble, with a much smaller scope for abuse

perhaps it could function like a door as dk2 suggestd, but instead of requiring two solid walls on oposing sides, it just needs any 2 adjacent walls for it to be placed? allowing it to create corner pieces etc or block of a narrow corridor
    I have a better idea. What if it functions like a Secret Door, but also a barricade. (In that no one can pass but also only appears to be a normal wall)
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!