Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Training

Default Training

How is training going to be done?

Dungeon Keeper Training System:
    • All Creatures can train to level 10 in Training Room.
    • Also get levels and experience though combat.
    • Imps only get levels in the training Room.
    • Dungeon Special.

Pros:

Creatures can be trained to high levels in bulk.

Cons:

Allows players to take their time inside their walls, making for very long multi-player games.

Dungeon Keeper 2 Training System:
    • All creatures (except Imps and Horny) can train in Training Room till level 4.
    • Also gain experience till level 8 in the Combat pit.
    • Creatures also gain.
    • Imps gain levels and experience by digging.
    • Dungeon Special.

Pros:

Forces the player to move more, making multiplayer matches move quite a bit quicker.

Cons:

2 rooms that do the same thing.

a combination of both?

or a new plan?

(If I have forgotten anything or got something wrong please tell me. Also I know there are a few other Pros and cons, just can't remember them)
    Last edited by A New Room; February 26th, 2010 at 18:09.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

Default Re: Training

I prefer the DK1 system, personally. Combat Pit basically allows you to train for free, and it works faster and up to higher levels as well, making the Training Room completely useless.

Changing it so the Combat Pit won't be available (researched) until late isn't a good option either, it basically disallows getting anything above level 4 until then, which I don't think I would like.

The Awakening

You can read 100 books about hunting and defend a thesis in PhD on hunting.... but when you first take a real gun in your hands you are in a totally different world.

Same with training. You can do as much practice as you wish, but it will never be the same for a real combat.

As such, I would leave TR at level 4-5.

Combat pit is another level, so I find it useful for levels 4-8-10.

Btw, who said that we have to stick to the original 10 level system? that's history.

How about 30 levels? 40? 50? Imbalanced you say? I say, bullshit.

Your creatures may train up to level 8 lets say, and gain skills up to level 20. The rest of 20-30 levels is simply a stat improvement.
    Another way of reducing "pwness" is by making levels after 20 very difficult to obtain.

Imagine a truly "veteran" level 40 goblin, so good that he doesnt even fear a level 5 knight. I bet you'd hate to lose him in battle ) Makes the gameplay a bit more lively.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

I think it should be so:
    • The original level 10 system
    • All creatures can train to Level 5 in the training room
    • Imps can get levels in the training room and by digging
    • Dungeon Special

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: qqluqq

i preffer the dk2 system

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Oh goody, I just remembered I prepared a topic starter for this, now where is that file...?

My personal preferance is DK1.

But you're forgetting one more very basic thing... costs.

Multiply all the Training Room costs in DK1 by 3, and see how many are actually less than 20, the overall DK2 cost. That's to compare considering the gold amount through each gold block.

Also, unless you have a gem rock or gold supply ready with you, how do you suppose to last very long walling yourself in? In my experiance, it only makes it more challanging, because you have to break out at the right time. Too early and the challange you face outside of creatures training and fighting is too great, too late and you'll find the gold escaping your grasp.

Also, while you're walled in on a limited gold supply (Even if you have a gem rock, you only get so much out of it so quickly) your enemies will be fighting to gain more experiance faster, and will never worry about the gold running low as they can simply get more. And also this strategy doesn't allow you to expand your dungeon, there are alot of faults in this strategy so don't think it is actually so easy. I speak from experiance, I've done this quite some amount of times.

@Hapuga
    I couldn't agree with you anymore, but it is difficult to say which way to go. DK1 had some realistic stuff too, I mean if you look at the Vampire's/Dark Mistress' high damage stats, even though they are support, it is because a claw will do more damage than a fist. Getting stabbed clearly hurts more, so from a realistic point of view that's why they did that.

On the otherhand, it is like Imp training. How many times in DK2 did you care when you lost an Imp? How many times was it level 4 or 8 and you cared? And in DK1, it was alot more difficult to train your Imps and you got good out of it. But you also became more cautious about everything. When I had nothing but level 4 DK1 Imps, I would always create another Imp or possess a Bile Demon and walk through enemy land to make sure there are no traps to kill them, then I let the Imps go.

I even had a little "Storage" to lock the Imps inside durring battle.

I prefer the DK1 system on that too because from a gameplay perspective, it is strategy.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Tentacle
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Evifire

Imps gaining EXP from digging = YES.

Training Room that levels 1 to 6. Rest of levels in battle.

Less turtleing, more action!
    Last edited by Evi; February 26th, 2010 at 23:28.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: qqluqq

training in battle should go way faster then in training room

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

DK 2 system was better in my opinion. Being able to train creatures all the way in a single room doesn't appeal to me. Certain skill should only be obtainable through battle.

Perhaps Training Room can rank creatures to Level 8, but the training time takes progressively longer so by that time it takes ages to rank. By the time creatures gets to Level 6 you want to build a Combat Pit for efficiency. Combat Pit is only slightly slower than actual combat, but also still ranks only to Level 8.

This would also allow you to rank Skeletons and undead more easily and higher than the DK 2 model.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    DK 2 system was better in my opinion. Being able to train creatures all the way in a single room doesn't appeal to me. Certain skill should only be obtainable through battle.

Perhaps Training Room can rank creatures to Level 8, but the training time takes progressively longer so by that time it takes ages to rank. By the time creatures gets to Level 6 you want to build a Combat Pit for efficiency. Combat Pit is only slightly slower than actual combat, but also still ranks only to Level 8.

This would also allow you to rank Skeletons and undead more easily and higher than the DK 2 model.
    However I think we all agree on DK1's fighting experiance system on experiance when hit rather than experiance per second of battle because [sarcasm]I'm sure I'd clearly be gaining experiance as fast as killing Imps as fighting Horny.[/sarcasm]
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!