Thread: DK II Issues (Crashing)

Hellhound

Default DK II Issues (Crashing)

Following DL's thread found here, I found a few broken links there. May want to update it.

Installation:
    I have downloaded Dungeon Keeper II from Digiex, which is already patched to 1.7, comes with bonuses, and has the disc security ripped out.
    Source

I have patched to 1.73 using dotted's attachment found in this thread. (Scroll down until attachment)

Running Dungeon Keeper II works, but leads to crashing later during gameplay.

Running DK II Under Windows:
    I have Windows 7 installed on this computer. I was to try and do the UnSafeDisc a second time if it was required, but the link was broken.
    Skipped this step.

I then tried using the better graphics, but when doing that it made the menu more laggy. (Note that I went into the registry before this step, that may affect it. This fix comes from another thread [Graphic Glitches])

Dungeon Keeper II Problems:

-Drivers are up to date (new laptop)
    -The download says the disc security has already been ripped out, and the Unsafedisc link is broken.
    -Black Pixels / Blocks: I have not encountered this problem.
    -Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit I have not used yet.
    -I tried running the game in Compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 3 and Windows 98. They both seem to crash.
    -I believe I had a Quad Core laptop. I opened up the Task Manager and tried to Set Affinity, but it wouldn't allow me. (Access is denied and a similar error message)

Perhaps I may be blind here, but anyone know what I am doing wrong? (Besides converting to 1.3 or 1.51, I want my elites, maps, and editor)

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: DK II Issues (Crashing)

Thanks for reporting the broken link. It's been fixed.

Yeah, you took the "Silver" version, that way, I don't think you'll need UnSafeDisc anymore. As for patch 1.73, it simply fixes a bit of things.

Running the game through a Multi-core laptop under Windows 7 is the worst nightmare for DK2... The game is supposed to run fine under Win98SE/XP (Vista and 7: less), with a single core processor on a desk computer.

Try running the game using command lines like I explained in my post-it. Test them (-disablegamma included). If the main menu is lagging, it's normal : the same thing occurs for everyone (sadly). I know that patch 1.73 enables StippleAlpha in the Registry, making the main menu look weird, which isn't pleased by everyone. Go to that topic to solve the problem. Try Enabling/Disabling Hardware acceleration in the Graphical options of the game to see if it improves the game a bit.

If all fails, then I guess DK2 doesn't like your computer... Try using a VirtualPC or use another computer.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Sire View Post
    I have Windows 7 installed on this computer. I was to try and do the UnSafeDisc a second time if it was required, but the link was broken.
    UnSafeDisk is only used to remove SafeDisk, which is the DRM included with DK2 that checks if the CD is an original or not. So do not use UnSafeDisk if the game is already cracked.

Imp

I personally encounter a problem with that I'm able to open the program and watch the bullfrog logo as well as the intro movie but then it crashes :S

Hellhound

Looks like I made it worse for some reason. I open it back up and no graphics appear this time around.

Oh well, I'll live with the fact that DK II hates this laptop. Perhaps another mefistotelis will come along and make a DK II FX or something eventually.

Looks like there's nothing I can do here but play DK I and wait for WFTO.

I was gathering parts for a new pc recently... and here it is, brand new pentium II with voodoo4 and WIN 98! Runs all my oldies perfectly well.

I suggest you do the same thing. It cost me about 300$ to get all the required parts together.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif