Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Test Realm Discussion [Old]

Hellhound

Default Re: Test Realm Discussion

@ emperorjay

Works perfectly.

Many thanks for making such a simple icon!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: nmjayjay Steam ID: NmJayJay

ok just got rid of that whitle line on the edge it annoyed me, but yea no problem

i thought seeing as i wanted to join in the hero realm i should at least try and be useful :P
    Syndicate wars

The brave hide behind technology.The stupid hide from it. But the clever have technology, and hide it.
    Poor workers blame their tools. Good workers build better tools. The best workers get their tools to do the work for them.
    Not only will all eyes be on the leaders of men, but all combat sights as well
    Bravery will take you into the most dangerous of places. Overwhelming firepower will see you safely through them

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Speaking of Hero Realm... can I apply myself for Lord? ^.^
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

<--- dibs on a royal knight :P
    Syndicate wars

The brave hide behind technology.The stupid hide from it. But the clever have technology, and hide it.
    Poor workers blame their tools. Good workers build better tools. The best workers get their tools to do the work for them.
    Bravery will take you into the most dangerous of places. Overwhelming firepower will see you safely through them

Quote Originally Posted by emperorjay View Post
    <--- dibs on a royal knight :P
    Don't you mean Royal Guard? ;P

Tesonu is napping!

Hellhound

Hero Realms are still postponed until we start getting more active roleplayers.

As of current, there really is only 3-4 actively roleplaying in the Test Realms. A few others may join at a later date when their creature is available.
    When I start seeing 6+ people roleplaying at once and at regular intervals, then a Hero Realm spot may be open for applications. Otherwise, we wait.

And the fact that school is suddenly dumping me with loads and loads of work doesn't help either.

Edit:
    If people are so inclined to play as Heroes (while a Keeper controls them), I may allow for conversion in the Torture Chamber, but I'll randomly roll to see if it succeeds or not. Otherwise, you will have to find another victim...

Edit 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sire
    -The Testing Grounds is not a "create your own creature" RP. It is for normal roleplaying of creatures or testing out Suggestions.
    Last edited by Sire; September 3rd, 2010 at 03:23.

Gamer IDs

nope, this is the 'testing grounds' oooh gatcha there XD

but if your lord then id be your 'bitch' so to speak
    Syndicate wars

M'kay, I'll go around dragging people into the Testing Grounds then ;P

*beats up random spam bots*

Tesonu is napping!

I guess I'll use this thread as opposed to the Dark Beyond discussion thread. I really don't think it's appropriate in the slightest, and for reasons I will reveal at the end of this post.

What I would like to do is re-open the Test Realms. I want to be able to test certain abilities within specific situations, situations that hold doubts for said abilities. An example would be a spell such as Haste Other or Haste Group. The spells are Enemy Only, and for good reason. It can be a very deadly spell when used on the proper unit, which is why I restricted it as a Self Only spell, making it more like a special trait being applied to a unit, where it is much simpler to judge its strength on that individual unit.

What we would test would be having Haste Other and using it on, say, a Giant, who is weakened normally by slowness. The spell would increase the Giant's speed and, in theory, remove that weakness and allow the Giant to perform much greater damage than would be normally possible. Whether that theory is correct or not would be seen through testing.

How the Test Realms work will be like this:
    • I will have a single thread for every individual test. I realize there would be a lot of threads but this would make things very easy to navigate through, as you only need to find the spell's name in a list of spells in order to see the tests performed on that spell.

• There will be a single thread that is meant to apply applications. Applications will be meant for volunteers that will aid me in testing. I will need at least one volunteer as I prefer to have at least two users testing any ability. The applications will not only be for a volunteer for a Player to help with testing, but also which Creature(s) they intend to use. Appliers will essentially be sending a Creature Profile needing approval, with the difference being that it is handled publicly rather than privately. More on that shortly. I will very likely have only a single test thread open at any one time as to avoid any potential confusion or confliction between applications.

• Every time I need to open up a test thread, I will post in the applications thread. I will list what spell is necessary to test, the reasons it needs to be tested, in addition to the kind of scenario that will be created for such a test. This will include enemy types and general abilities, if not specific abilities, and what kind of Player Units I will need for testing.

• The applications given will essentially be existing Creatures in the Awakening RPG. They will have to have a revised Spell List as to be appropriate for testing. Any abilities necessary or forbidden for any application will be listed. The Creature may have revised abilities and feats beyond Spell Lists but it is highly preferable if abilities beyond the Spell List remain the same as in the standard Awakening Variation in order to keep things relatively simplistic and easier to follow. The only time I will likely allow this is when the applying player doesn't have much of a choice, lacking a character with the proper requirements.

• Most importantly, while character spell revisions will be made, a sense of balance must be kept. It is important to remember what and why we are testing, and having imbalanced characters hardly brings about positive, or more specifically, accurate results for the balance of an ability.

• After applications have been taken care of, I will open the thread. At the start of each thread, I will list all enemies and players down to their specific character traits. I will then describe the scene through a map and possibly word description, in addition to indicating starting locations.

• Afterwards, the battle will begin between the Players and Enemy units. This will be handled very much like standard Awakening Battles.

• Once the battle/test ends, the thread will be closed. There will be a discussion in the OOC thread that follows it. Like the test threads, there will be an OOC thread for every test performed as to easily allow users to track down specific discussions. Anyone can post in the OOC thread at any time, so long as they have something relevant to the discussion.

• After that, I will reach a conclusion as to whether or not to allow the spell to be accepted as a standard Player Unit, restricted as a High Power Spell, Enemy Only Spell, or not allowed at all. I will always be the final deciding factor with the only exception being that I say otherwise, which will likely only be if I have reason to believe that I cannot trust my own judgement alone. I will decide based on the events in the test itself and the discussion that took place. After reaching my decision, I'll have the test thread locked, but not the OOC thread.

• For applications, I will very much prefer to have those who have better experience with handling battles. I would like to avoid as many mistakes that take place during battles, dropping them down to zero if possible, as to avoid convoluting or diluting of the test that takes place.

• Lastly, if I feel that the test didn't provide accurate results, I will repeat it over again.

I realize it sounds like a lot to take in, a lot of steps making it into a complex and lengthy procedure. It can be complex at times, but likely not a lengthy procedure for most tests. Once we all get familiar with the process, it will flow smoothly and naturally.

Now, I am aware that the Test Realm concept has been done two times before I was Game Master. They both failed miserably. It was so bad that it actually turned out being counterproductive to the whole RP, not only failing in providing effective results for, well, anything, but also stealing away from activity and causing the Awakening RP to suffer in that regard. After that, it seems as if the whole idea is just simply doomed to fail, right? No, that is actually entirely wrong.

Previously, only the outer shell of the problem has been analyzed. As a result, we've essentially deluded ourselves into believing we avoid the problem by moving away from the concept entirely. And we do. But at what cost? The cost is that we also move away from reaching that highest potential. By properly analyzing the problem at the core, the very root, we can come to an understanding of what is the true problem. From there, we can come to the conclusion as to whether or not the concept itself is flawed or if it's simply the execution, and why. I have done just that for this particular problem.

Now, no offense to Duke, but the truth is that the problem before is actually his fault. Both times before when the Test Realm concept was attempted, it was very badly executed, which resulted in the above mentioned problems. I've come to the conclusion that it was simply the execution that was flawed. The concept itself is perfectly fine.

The first time the test realm was attempted, it was essentially just another realm. It acted primarily as a realm, secondly as a test realm. Additionally, there were few goals set to accomplish, and really no efficient or effective method previously planned to reach those goals. It was basically a very limited form of testing, reverting back to only what was known about handling and managing the Awakening, which was just a standard realm and RP, as opposed to actual experimenting and testing. The biggest thing it ever tried to test was the concept of WftO suggestions being in the Awakening, but it also wasn't very well executed. Essentially, new Creatures acted much like the old ones. The Pixie, for example, could essentially be normally achieved by doing modifications to the Fairy and bam. There was a lack of sufficient and accurate experimenting going on, as previously mentioned.

The second time the test realm was attempted was with the Dark Beyond and Leto's dungeon. I'm not going to lie when I say this but I think that was even worse than the first attempt. The Dark Beyond wasn't actually a test realm at all, rather, it was disguised as an Awakening story plot. It wasn't going to come into play until way, way in the future, so far in the future that most of Heavenarius would be conquered by then. It only showed up now essentially so that Duke could say he had things planned out, and to also provide build up for the events. Not that we would ever get that far. The focus wasn't even testing. I hope I don't have to explain why this idea failed.

So, baring in mind the past failures and true reasons for these failures, I have come up with plans for a new type of execution of the Test Realm concept that can actually benefit the Awakening this time around. As far as activity goes, it shouldn't effect it too badly, if at all, as it's only taking time away from primarily two or three RPers and also acts as a secondary focus to the main Awakening in general. It won't always be around either, and when it is, it should be fairly short lived in most tests as I don't intend to drag things out with test battles beyond what is necessary.

Now I am curious what others have to say about this concept, now that it has a fresh execution plan.
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; April 28th, 2013 at 15:59.

Tesonu is napping!

The set-up that you have for the new Test Realms seems solid. It'll be like little bite sized snapshots of the situations needed, rather than keeping all the humble bumble keeping us from getting there. We'll be able to hop in, test, and hop out, with few to no consequences. As far as the old versions of this, I care very little, as I was not involved with them and they hold no influence over my opinion of the new one you've come up with. We might also want to have a results thread listing everything tested or being tested, their status, the verdict (whether or not they were added, removed, or adjusted to a different spell type), and links to the main thread and the review thread.