Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Colaboration with OpenDungeon?

Default Re: WFTO is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Sire View Post
    I also take it that the proposed Test Realm will forever be dead as well, since WFTO suggestions will no longer exist.
    Fixed.

How WftO creatures suddenly wouldn't require testing is beyond me.

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Sire View Post
    One question though, we have three development things going on at once, right? There was an Ogre, Kopaval, and another one. What exactly happened to those?
    Well i believe Kopavel is moving away from WFTO and doing something else with his engine. Ogre I'm not really sure what the status of it is currently. And NBKE is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    Fixed.

How WftO creatures suddenly wouldn't require testing is beyond me.
    I would like to know what makes the WFTO suggestions incompatible with OD :/

Their Wiki is open.

All you have to do is take all our ideas and implement them in their Wiki. We have many good ideas and great creatures/characters.

You're still here?
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Bombard their wiki with our suggestions and ideas I would say then, I personally find their own stuff rather... questionable to the Dungeon Keeper legacy at first, and for their orginality.

@Sire, this does not change anything.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; April 4th, 2010 at 20:16.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Bombard their wiki with our suggestions and ideas I would say then, I personally find their own stuff rather... questionable to the Dungeon Keeper legacy at first, and for their orginality.

@Sire, this does not change anything.
    From what i gather and what they told me the only thing that is different, is the factions something they are reconsidering.

As for posting suggestions on the wiki, i dont think thats the intention, i would suggest posting them on their forum instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dotted View Post
    From what i gather and what they told me the only thing that is different, is the factions something they are reconsidering.
    That's for sure the thing that stood out. I even doubted for a moment the whole thing was actually something related in the range of Dungeon Keeper. Hell, I can only find ONE hit on the Horned Reaper.

Blasphemy! ! !

(though it's classified as a super-creature)
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; April 4th, 2010 at 20:33.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    That's for sure the thing that stood out. I even doubted for a moment the whole thing was actually something related in the range of Dungeon Keeper. Hell, I can only find ONE hit on the Horned Reaper.

Blasphemy! ! !

(though it's classified as a super-creature)
    I wouldn't give a **** whether loads of existing DK-material or original content would be put in, if the result would be an actually playable new DK-esque game.

The Awakening

OpenDungeons Dev

Hello my name is Andrew Buck, I am the lead coder for the OpenDungeons project which is being discussed in this thread. I would love to see more people joining our project and just thought I would make a post here to discuss how our project is structured and what our goals are.

As I am sure many of you will agree, the cancellation of the third part of the Dungeon Keeper series was a disappointment to all of us. The goal of OD is to fill this void. Beyond that not much has really been decided for sure. The current aim is the implementation of a DK-like game built entirely from opensource and opencontent work.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread we had planned to implement a "factions" system, whereby a player would choose a side which would determine what creatures/rooms would be available to them. This is currently our biggest departure from the original DK series, and is one which even some of our members do not totally agree with. Currently there is a discussion here about how exactly that should work. The current thinking (and something I personally like, is that we should implement "soft factions" where you don't choose a side explicitly, but rather the actions you take (torturing, massacring, stealing, etc) influence what kind of creatures are attracted to your dungeon. None of these things are yet set in stone and we are open to suggestions, however I somewhat dislike the notion of "taking over" our project via bombarding our wiki. We are welcoming you into our project and feel both parties would benefit from this decision. Please keep in mind though that OD is a community effort and your opinions will be taken into consideration but if you expect us to change our design entirely you will have to convince us of that through reasoned discussion.

Our codebase is currently quite sophisticated and would hugely benefit from the addition of the models you have developed here. My only concern is that your models are very much like the original DK models. This is something that we (for legal considerations) have tried to avoid as much as possible, and this is likely why many of you found the game more different from the original DK series than you would have liked. I am not opposed in principle to the content you have created (and it is fantastic) however I am concerned about the similarity to the original series. I do not want to see many hours of hard work destroyed by lawyers representing the current owners of the DK content just because our game looks like their's does.

Hopefully we can come to an understanding and the project can move forward to completion. If, after reading this, you still want to join our community then I personally welcome you into it. If, however, you feel our projects are too different to be merged then I wish you luck in your pursuits; competition is the essence of what makes opensource software a success, and I would hate to see a budding project die simply for a (possibly temporary) lack of development resources. Whether you decide to join our project or not, our content is open under various licenses (GPL, CC, etc) and you are welcome to make use of it in any way you feel is appropriate.

EDIT: I started a thread here on the OD forums letting people knwo the status of your project (at least as far as I understand it). If you would like to introduce yourselves and join our project, this is where I would suggest you start.

-Buck
    Last edited by AndrewBuck; April 5th, 2010 at 02:31.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

When I was reading through the wiki, I did also feel it may drift too far from Dungeon Keeper. Then I saw a video and realized I was wrong there. I feel this will be a good project, plus we don't really have to worry about legal matters and we technically never got permission on WftO... did we?

Anyways, I joined there and I hope I can provide some good ideas.

PS: Wasn't the original DK3 supposed to have 3 sides, the third some kind of nature based on called the Elders or something?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Max Hayman PSN ID: Ballwinkle XFIRE ID: elmaxaman Steam ID: ballwinkle

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    PS: Wasn't the original DK3 supposed to have 3 sides, the third some kind of nature based on called the Elders or something?
    Yes

'The third major change we had in mind was to add a new race, and to let you play any of the three: Heroes, Dungeon-Dwellers, or the third race, the Elders. '