Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Fresh start!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Max Hayman PSN ID: Ballwinkle XFIRE ID: elmaxaman Steam ID: ballwinkle

Default Re: A Fresh start!

At the moment, i think we should aim to make a game that is as much playable as it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    There is only one problem I see about not having EA's permission. I can't imagine ballwinkle having to do all the programming himself, I put up a help wanted ad on gamedev.net and that was attracting some attention until a moderator told me he was locking the thread until we have written permission from EA. So where do we find additional help.
    If Ballwinkle is going to do the majority of the programming for the moment, then it's only right that he do it in incremental steps, thus not burdening his workload and/or keeping the work fresh. I don't have a problem with that, brcause we know the time scale at the moment is going to fairly long-term.

Was it one moderator or more than one? Surely he must have known that
    trying to get anything from EA is like trying to draw blood from a stone?! I guess we can just keep pushing the boundaries over there, draw interest with another thread until it gets ear-marked by a moderator there and then note the applicants and ask them to join over here? Just a (albeit slightly cheeky) suggestion?

As for additional help. well that depends on us really; we've got to find them ourselves. I've got my cousin who's good with stuff like this, alas, his ensuing barrage of moving house and soon to be getting engaged nature won't help proceedings. Therefore I would ask if anyone would like to volunteer on a recruitment based role?

Quote Originally Posted by A New Room View Post
    That should be a hurdle that is dealt with once we have finalised as much of the general concept of the game.

Previously the mentality was that we'll decide on everything when we have a working engine, only probelm is there is nothing gets decided.

So far we know we are making a DK type game, but what elements are going to be taken from previous games? Finalising in a realistic fashion on each point will hopefully give us a better layman's perspective on what a WfO engine actually needs to do.

Or at least that is how I see it... :/
    Exactly, if we all give what we can offer, then I can see the project stepping up. Relying on the one thing that we will be slowly offering is not good enough. What we need to get to is a basic core.

Story-Line
    Gameplay & Design
    Art
    Models
    Sounds & Music
    Coding & Development

At the moment, that's what I consider a basic core. We have the perrmission of Bluto for basic 3D Models, we have the storyline being developd, Ball-W is ploughing through some dev work, ANR will be ready to start on Voicework in a month and a half's time, so that just leaves Art and Gameplay issues. We've got a new artist joining shortly and we'll wait and see on Synth, though natch, if he would like to be in, that would be a massive boost. Sire will be brainstorming the gameplay issues and general design of the game.

All of these we will discuss at length next week. There's still a few holes we need plugged and I guess the more people who would like to help with Lore and with Game mechanics would be useful.

To avoid another failure I suggest you create a schedule. Each person will write his plans and goals for a week, and what was completed last week. This will help you track each others progress. It is also very helpful for dividing responsibilities and avoiding uncertainties.

Second thing that you should do: create an absence board. If someone is going to be absent for a certain period of time, he/she goes there and posts a message with description and absence period.

Third, you should all get each others contacts, like MSN, Skype, ICQ or whatever you may use. online problem discussion will get you much further than just a regular forum conversation.

Fourth, you should be realistic about your future goal. A goal itself is ambiguous and frightening. Such goals as "lets make a game" are not leading anywhere. Be able to divide a huge goals into lesser goals. Small goals are much easier to achieve and are not that scary to undertake.

Fifth, you should be able to manage your time effectively. When the goal is set, create a timeline and try to guess how much time each task will take, like "this month we have to do THIS much". Track your progress and try to improve. Objectives should be relatively similar each time period, else you won't be able to compare your progress to past performance effectively.

Sixth, know your numbers. You should know who is on the project, whos doing what, and in what numbers. If programmers are missing, search for substitute and continue working on your part. A flexible team is an effective team, and your flexibility depends on ability to face and adopt under different circumstances.

"Duh, thats so obvious!" you may say. Well, about 80% of teams and groups fail to follow these simple guidelines and fail eventually.

Best of luck.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

It really bothers me:

I'd like to see WftO released alot, (As well as Open Dungeons, as they're both Dungeon Keeper to me) but when we were all together, how come nobody supported us like this?

It felt hopeless really, suddenly it seems like a possibility. But everyone is now doing the work, it irritates me that they weren't there before to help us out.

Hapuga, I've never seen such an organized list. Its so large, how could we miss it if we were ignoring you?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Guys, guys, guys. Let's be civil about this. This thread is not for argueing, ok? No flamewars please?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

I dont think thats an argument, Hapuga is right. WTFO in the first place was a huge sloppy mess that nobody knew what was going on, we had two freaking programmers working on two different engines. I speak with Kopavel very frequently and he always told me that he would need help and the other programmers were either confused on what they had to do or just not doing anything. I offered to make some form of timetable but I think I realised that WTFO at that point was hopeless to fix. This brand new start is what we need to reach our goal. Lets not fuck it up.

Hellhound

As I have said in other places, I'm currently on vacation.

Since my job is stuff that I'm already doing (Test Realm, Suggestion Idea List), then I think I'm set besides a few extra bits of contribution and a possible website.

Edit:
    I also 95% agree with Hapuga as well. Those simple guidelines will get a team pretty far if everyone has their orders and follows them.
    Last edited by Sire; April 9th, 2010 at 06:10.

Quote Originally Posted by QwentyJ View Post
    Guys, guys, guys. Let's be civil about this. This thread is not for argueing, ok? No flamewars please?
    Was here for some time. I`m not a programmer, nither artist, so my participation in project can take place in testing and advertising. I also participate in several open source projects, so if there`ll be some technical problems with engine realisation I can try to attract quite skillfull programmers from the projects I`ve been participationg for help.

Also I`ll do some posting on dev-forums, so the number of coders/modellers/animators in your team grow bigger :P

And what about "where to start", IMHO try to re-create DK1-styled gameplay for start, since you`ll have the example (DK1) to compare your project to. Once it done - you can move any way you`d like for futher success :P

Best of luck!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

I agree with Hapuga too, just not with the deadline idea. Since this is a spare time project, people cannot keep deadlines. I think assignements should be handed out in such a way, that people can pick what they wish to do, of one big assignment list. Ex: The people doing models and art on the game, share one list, and they can pick stuff from the list, they feel like having time to do, and skill to do. Of course it should not be in such a way, that as soon as things are published, someone puts his / her name on everything, and it doesn't get done. So people should probably hook themselves up with 2-4 things at a time, depending on its size, at a time, and of course try to get it done in a proper time. But asking to have a specific deadline, I doubt this can be done with this project, when it is based on our spare time. Maybe on few things, indicators is needed, "like it you could have this done in 2 weeks, that would be great!" - But no deadlines!

Deadlines are a required element to keep the project in order. This is essential because deadlines are keeping the whole thing in place.

Having deadlines does not mean having strict deadlines. You may have flexible deadlines, but you have to have those or your project will turn into a pile of disorganized trash.

Somehow people think that deadlines are necessarily something that is out there, shining like a red light, something inevitable and driving everyone crazy. Totally wrong, biased thinking. Deadlines are intervals that help you divide your work in logical, coherent parts.

An example of a flexible deadline would be "creating a concept of a new model and making approximately X amount of work on a model this month."

If the deadline is not met, you may want to increase your input.

A strict deadline is "create a concept for a model by tuesday 21:00, make a first draft of a model by wednesday 16:00 and make a final draft by sunday 24:00." Thats a kind of deadlines you have at universities and work.

If the deadline is not met, you are in trouble.
    Last edited by Hapuga; April 9th, 2010 at 10:23.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif