Thread: DK2 Screen Flickering

Default DK2 Screen Flickering

Hello, I've been spending the last 3 hours trying to fix this game to work on my new computer (win7 64 bit). I'm a big dungeon keeper fan, totally love this game, but been awhile since last I played it.

Suffice to say, have had to look practically everywhere to fix this and that problem. Now there's only really 1 problem left for me - a flickering screen. Yes, I've used the search function, couldn't find anything. Google didn't help me either. Well actually, if you google it, you'll find "Make sure no other background program is running as no process (probably d/l program - this will cause flickering Screen)"

I have NO idea what that means, he can't possibly mean that I have to turn Everything off that is in the background. Or is that what everyone here does?

I'm semi-baffled that I can't find Any other post about it. There's alot of posts about a black screen, and I had that problem aswell, until I turned off Hardware Accelaration. Now that problem is gone.

I came here and downloaded 1.73 by the way. Made it so the menu no longer lags. Also went into regedit to fix the graphics.

But the screen still flickers, any ideas? Should I really try running the game without Any background applications? I mean, I barely know what everything is in the task manager, there's alot of shit there.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: DK2 Screen Flickering

Quote Originally Posted by Snesruler View Post
    Hello, I've been spending the last 3 hours trying to fix this game to work on my new computer (win7 64 bit). I'm a big dungeon keeper fan, totally love this game, but been awhile since last I played it.

Suffice to say, have had to look practically everywhere to fix this and that problem. Now there's only really 1 problem left for me - a flickering screen. Yes, I've used the search function, couldn't find anything. Google didn't help me either. Well actually, if you google it, you'll find "Make sure no other background program is running as no process (probably d/l program - this will cause flickering Screen)"

I have NO idea what that means, he can't possibly mean that I have to turn Everything off that is in the background. Or is that what everyone here does?

I'm semi-baffled that I can't find Any other post about it. There's alot of posts about a black screen, and I had that problem aswell, until I turned off Hardware Accelaration. Now that problem is gone.

I came here and downloaded 1.73 by the way. Made it so the menu no longer lags. Also went into regedit to fix the graphics.

But the screen still flickers, any ideas? Should I really try running the game without Any background applications? I mean, I barely know what everything is in the task manager, there's alot of shit there.
    I've had this problem, sometimes it was when I had the internet running and I also couldn't join/create any games. Then again, that could be a problem with my internet settings and hamachi.

I have this on my other computer though, not sure what causes it as it is annoying isn't it?

Yeah, try closing out all other windows and programs before entering DK2. Probably what that means.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

So perhaps it is some specific programs that causes it... I'll try some shit.

Case solved, gentlemen. It was one program... Well, I'm not even sure I'd call it a program - it's a f*cking desktop menu bar that you get with Dell computers.

DellDock.exe is the process.

And I really liked that menu bar...!

Quote Originally Posted by Snesruler View Post
    Case solved, gentlemen. It was one program... Well, I'm not even sure I'd call it a program - it's a f*cking desktop menu bar that you get with Dell computers.

DellDock.exe is the process.

And I really liked that menu bar...!
    That's a negative... I don't have the program running, and I still am afflicted with screen flicker. I'm running a 2003 Dell Dimension 2300 with the best PCI parts I can get. Running a WinXP SP3 rig, with a Celeron CPU 2.40GHz, 2.39GHz, 1.50 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.

Any one got ideas/suggestions/advice/tips?

Do you have Firefox running?